Thursday 6 September 2012

Goal 22: Make breakfast for someone & look good doing it! (Recipe: Grandpa Potatoes)

Well guys, you may not know it but something huge happened yesterday. And it didn't seem that hard.

I made Prince Charming breakfast and was somewhat civil and more excitedly not wearing any form of pyjamas. He gets breakfast cooked for him once a year on the the first day of school. And as he is training to be a teacher, this tradition has a long life ahead of it.



This goal may seem silly to a lot of you, but actually it is probably my life goal. It combines my love of cooking, with my weaknesses of planning ahead in real life, getting up in the morning, being hospitable to others, and actually wearing real clothes.

You see, I am decidedly not a morning person. And I am not really a breakfast person, seeing as how I often feel kind of nauseous in the morning. So for me to actually cook breakfast for another person is very rare. And usually when I have done it in the past I have made the breakfast and then jumped back into bed, so leaving the pj's on seemed like a good idea.

But not this year! This year I had pictures to put on facebook and a blog post to write! Motivation can make you do wonderful things!

See that my hair is actually somewhat decent (it is braided) and I am wearing real clothes!

So what made this moment possible? Planning ahead!

I basically planned out three things.


  1. the menu - scrambled eggs, sausages, "grandpa" potatoes, fruit. (more ideas here)
  2. the prep - defrost sausage, cook potatoes the night before (see recipe below)
  3. my outfit - sweater, jeans, braid. 


Simple, attainable. Also delicious. Check out this recipe for potatoes, which comes from many, many breakfasts enjoyed at the Darling's house. Mr. Darling would always make a big plate of fried eggs which were all still connected and looked like the shape of the pan, and these potatoes.


Grandpa Potatoes

2 potatoes
1/2 medium onion, sliced thinly
salt
pepper
butter or margarine

The night before you are planning to make this bake the potatoes until done or just almost done. If you are having potatoes for dinner just use those. Or, if you do not want to bake potatoes for an hour use the microwave for about 4 minutes. The potatoes need to be just soft to pressure.

When you are ready to make the potatoes, heat up your pan with a bit of butter or margarine. Throw in the potatoes and onions and fry, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle in a generous dose of pepper and some salt. While cooking, if the potatoes are browning a bit too much put a dab of butter on and stir it in to melt.

Serve with ketchup or just enjoy as is!


What kind of back-to-school traditions are you celebrating this year?

1 comments: