Sunday 14 October 2012

{Thriving this Winter} Day 14: Keep


Sunday's are celebrated all over the world as a sabbath or "day of rest".  Even many people who do not practice religion engage in a weekly restful day. But soul rest is about more than just putting up your feet.

However, I would also state that nourishing your soul is often about more than just going to church. If we are honest, sometimes getting out to a religious service is not very restful. I doubt that I am the only one who has sat planning out my grocery list and schedule, or planning a heated "discussion" while I am supposed to be listening to the sermon. That isn't to say that some sermons aren't great and totally bring new understanding and deep peace. But true soul nourishment is more about what you are bringing to it, not just an activity that has to be scheduled in.

Ok, so we know what soul nourishment isn't, but what is it?

Soul nourishment is about refreshing your perspective and shoring yourself up to face the world. It is about self-confidence, and acceptance of yourself. It might be about increasing your understanding of yourself. It is about knowing who you are and having a true sense of your place in the world. So basically, it is about hope. (Which is what Prince Charming yelled at me this afternoon while I was certainly not filled with these emotions.) It is about living a life full of hope, always hoping that things will work out, better than planned, and go smoothly. It is about hope for the future, hope for who you can be, what you can accomplish. It is the part of you that whispers "keep going."

So then the question is.... what fills you with hope?

For me it is music, it is beautiful landscapes, it is actually executing plans, it is making my self take that small step now to feeling better later. For me, today these small steps were: taking a nap (during which I didn't actually sleep, but I closed my eyes and wore pyjamas), then washing my face and brushing my teeth. Then enjoying a dinner that I planned but Prince Charming actually made. And it made me feel hope again. Because the future can be better. And I can keep going.

What helps you keep going?


1 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! And just what I needed to read tonight.

    ReplyDelete