Monday 22 October 2012

{Thriving this Winter} Day 22: Capsule

Hahaha! I was just looking at what was supposed to be yesterday's post and realized something. It is all about how to plan and add more things to your daily routine. I think my adherence to the idea that routine will solve my life's problems goes deeper than I thought. 

Today I want to talk about the second most important section of clothing to be concerned about this coming winter. And that is what I call the "weather resistance capsule". 


This ideas comes from the blog You Look Fab, which while focussing on a more mature (and affluent!) demographic than me, has some brilliant ideas about building a capsule wardrobe and how to start planning that wardrobe. 

According to YLF one person needs 3 coats, which are a lightweight trench, a smart coat and a casual parka. This is the minimum, but since I have moved from BC to Alberta which can get temperatures from -30ºC to +30ºC throughout the year, I have had to be a little more aware of the weather. Not to mention all my waterproof stuff from the wet West Coast isn't particularly helpful anymore. I have also taken into account the types of activities I do outdoors, and my own personal preferences. I can deal with being a bit cold, much more than exposed shoulders in wind. I dislike wind much more than the cold. So for me, everything doesn't have to be incredibly warm, but it does have to be covering and I like layers even in summer. So here is the list that I operate with. 

  1. trench coat
  2. wool coat
  3. casual down parka
  4. bright down puffer vest
  5. spring/summer jacket (rain, wind)
  6. cotton summer jacket
  7. brightly coloured toque
  8. matching gloves
  9. matching scarf
  10. umbrella

Just this past weekend I finally completed this list, by getting myself a winter coat. Last year was pretty mild here so I was able to get by on just a thick sweatshirt and the puffer vest. Coats are one of those things that you really need to think of as an investments, as you are generally not going to only wear them for one season. Take your time picking them out! For instance, I have had my black wool coat for at least 6 years. At the time, when I bought it, it seemed like a huge amount of money, but now that I have had it for so long the price per year is about $30. And in years when I haven't had a casual winter coat, it has seen a lot of wear. 

When buying anything in your winter capsule please think about colour. While you might buy all these items separately, you will be wearing them together, so try to pick colours that actually go. And I like to keep my toque, scarf and mittens the same colour, preferably bright or grey. This way I can either choose a bright coat to go with them, or if I am wearing my black coat I don't look like I am going to a funeral. Matching the accessories just makes things much more put together.

However, even more important than the colour is the shape! Something I have learned that has totally changed the way I approach coat shopping is simply this: Larger girls do not look good in double-breasted coats. Choose something with a princess seam (it just means straight down the front) and waist definition.

Lastly, it can really help your older coats to get dry-cleaned. Just take them every few years, and it will really help spruce them up.



Once you have your stuff together you are ready for any kind of weather and can still enjoy going outside in the winter! Try a winter picnic, or just a winter walk, or (what we are going to do this year) outdoor ice skating.

What do you have in your "weather resistance" capsule?

1 comments:

  1. I, too, have had my wool coat for 6 years, and it's still going strong! Last year I had to add a maternity coat, and I wish I was pregnant this winter again, because I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete