Monday 29 October 2012

{Thriving this Winter} Day 29!: Launch

Hey guys! Today I want to share with you something that is totally essential to the organization of my house and self. I am totally a person who is very organized in my head, and would appear to be very organized on paper, yet there always seems to be a bit of a miss. Case in point; today while searching for our christmas stockings I found that on all of the meticulously labelled christmas boxes I hadn't included this one item. Of course.

So this is all to say, that while I might appear organized, I am just as lazy and forgetful (or maybe more!) than anyone else. Things just happen the way they happen.

But! There is one place in my life that a little organization can make a huge difference, and that is specifically on my way to work. Or on my way to do errands. Or any time I am leaving my house. So having what I call a "launchpad" really helps me get organized.



Don't you want to go to that house? My launchpad looks a leetle different.  Mine includes my purse, which includes my keys, cellphone and wallet. Then I have my work bag, which is just a ziploc I put in my purse and has my watch, nametag, stethoscope, pen, scissors and tape. Then I have my lunch bag, which is hopefully full.  Lastly I have all my outside gear, including all my shoes and coats for the season. I like to keep my gloves and hat close at hand, so I store mine in one compartment of a hanging shoe organizer. All of this stuff is just a mental checklist, and is everything I need to get myself out the door. If I am going to the grocery store, I also have my grocery bags in this area, and change for the shopping cart. If I need to make returns I would keep them there. So you get the point by now probably?


When actually decorating your entry consider the following elements:

  1. some kind of table, ledge or dresser
  2. lighting
  3. a mirror
  4. functional storage
  5. coordinating with the style and tone of your home, as this the first place guests will see.

Here is some eye candy for you to look at if you want to make your own launchpad. The trick is just to consider all the things you need when walking out the door, particularly ones you could easily forget.


Bright + Organized Entry at Iheartorganizing.com - love the little chalkboard, mirror and how she stores her laptop! Great ideas here. 


Organized Drop Spot at Hi Sugarplum! - I love how she carved this space out of an unused corned, and  how she coordinated her brightly coloured fabric and folders. Make this corner look great and useable. 



Turquoise Entry at the Decorologist - I absolutely love the colour and knobs on this dresser. And I love how the soft lighting in the entry continues on into the next room, and it coordinates so well. 


Mini Mudroom at BHG - I have been fascinated by this one for a long time. I how there is a clear space for everything & its functions are well thought out. I also love how they improvise a table with that little shelf of drawers and can use such a small space for big impact. 

Do you have an area that you could call a launchpad?


0 comments:

Post a Comment