Thursday 17 January 2013

Goal 79. Eat vegetarian for one week

Last week the challenge was to go 100% percent vegetarian for a whole week. No meat at all for 7 days!

And we did it. Well, except for a few slip-ups. One was realizing that we still had tons of leftover sandwich meat and the other was a piece of ham on an eggs benedict. The whole point of this challenge was to be more aware of and careful with what we eat, so I wasn't about to throw these things out, and I had pretty much forgotten that ham came on an eggs benedict until I had eaten half of it. Haha!

There was one night where I really, really didn't want to have salad for dinner. But since my husband had prepped everything we had it anyways..... And I was wrong. It was good, and equally as filling and satisfying as meat. In fact, it was probably more satisfying because I didn't feel like I had eaten a brick afterwards. Other than that one night we didn't have any problems missing meat. And since we were relying on more veggies we actually were getting our fair share! Normally we lack a little on eating our veggies, so this was a good change.


If you're wondering what we did eat, here's a quick break-down:

Hard-boiled eggs and pumpkin muffins for each breakfast
Black bean quesadillas and sour cream
Megadarra with Naan bread and tzatsiki
Vegetarian Chef's Salad (it had chickpeas!)
Marinara Spaghetti & Caesar Salad
and a Layered Greek Dip (for dinner!)

We obviously weren't starving. And as a final nod to vegetables we topped the week off with a delicious carrot cake!

Have you ever tried a week without something you normally include in your diet?

1 comments:

  1. Good job! I've been a vegetarian since 1995 and a vegan since 2010. I notice that I feel lighter and less uncomfortably full by eating vegetarian meals. There are so many great veggie recipes and blogs online.

    ReplyDelete